Hub Motor At the Shop

23 12 2009

A couple of days ago, Mark from EnerTrac sent me a video of my motor in final testing.   Here it is:





Cutting the Gas Tank

16 12 2009

So, after work this evening, i was able to get in a couple of hours playing in the garage…well outside the garage.

I wanted to make some physical progress with things, and cutting up the gas tank was one thing that needed to be done.  Thankfully, when i was taking things off of the bike last month, i started the gas tank process.  in particular, i drained the tank as best i could, then filled it with water and drained it twice, and then finally partially filled it with soap and water and shook it up and then drained it again.  then i left it as open as i could until today.

I could hear some water still sloshing around, but after a week or two, i didn’t smell any gas fumes anymore.  I wanted to make sure i didn’t blow myself up when i hit the tank with the dremel.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the tank before…

The tank before...

The bottom of the tank before cutting.

So, today, i got out the dremel and the tank and started cutting.  That went well for about 15 seconds. Then the cutoff wheel which was around an inch in diameter became a cutoff wheel that was about 1/4″ in diameter.  i had made a cut about 1.5″ in length.  That was obviously not going to do.  So, i went with the backup plan…the angle grinder.

Originally, i didn’t want to use the angle grinder because i thought i wanted more precision.  but turns out, i could get enough precision with the angle grinder and didn’t have to go through 15 dremel wheels.  🙂

I still have some finishing work to do, but it’s pretty good so far.  Whew…i’m glad i didn’t blow myself up…

The tank with some cuts. Not very precise, but good enough.

Me...at work. it was getting a little warm on my left side...

Almost there...

Ta-Da!

Another shot of the cut up tank.





New Battery Layouts (with CAD drawings)

15 12 2009

So, in my last post, i was mentioning that i can’t do CAD, and that i wished i could to get a better picture of how the batteries, battery tray/frame, and moto frame would fit together.

So, one night last week when i couldn’t sleep, i tried out Google Sketchup, a 3D modeling program.  Working on modeling is way different than i’m used to.  But i was able to stumble through to generate a representation of a battery.

Scale model of Thundersky 60Ah battery

From there, i did different sized packs of batteries, Read the rest of this entry »





More Battery Mockups!

8 12 2009
Woohoo! I got an inspiration for working with different battery orientations after looking at some bikes from a professional electric motorcycle designer (Justin G) that i got from an elmoto.net posting. In particular, this one: http://graywrxfabblog.blogspot.com/2…uper-bike.html (click on the image to get a better look). I’m still working off of mockups with a fair amount of slop (and i’m not sure how much i’m going to need between the packs), but i’m hoping this works…it’s now 36 in the frame!
Here are two diagrams showing layouts…

Original battery layout (30 cells)

New battery layout (36 cells) as of 2009-12-08





Battery Mockups.

6 12 2009

Now that the gas guzzling engine is out of the bike, i can now start trying to figure out where the batteries go (which let’s me ignore the last of the cleanup items i have to do such as strip the electrical so i can clean, sand, prime, and repaint the frame).

The Thundersky batteries that i’m using (60Ah LiFePO4) are 215 x 115 x 61mm (as per the TS specs). i built a bunch of boxes the size of one, three, and six batteries and tried placing them in the frame.  I’m not sure how the different battery boxes that i’m going to have to build will fit in with the frame since it’s already pretty tight with the mockups i have.

proposed battery locations. banks are labeled with an ID and number of batteries.

Read the rest of this entry »